The normal temperature range axolotls will require is between 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit (16-18 degrees Celsius). They feed on various kinds of … Alternatively, place driftwood inside your aquarium to provide the fibrous matter and to also create more space for algae to grow. The Vampire Pleco can and does socialize fine, but it will also want to retreat to its grounds. My research says a well fed pleco will not suck other fish of their slime. But the pleco comes out right away after I drop it in, and he finds it without a problem. I have had 2 plecos mysteriously disappear, and I thought they were, "I didn't realize how many food options there are for plecos. % of people told us that this article helped them. Dont over-feed of course, but step it up a bit more. The most important thing is maintaining a strong water current and keeping it well filtered. To keep a healthy pleco in your tank, meat should only be given once or twice a week. For example, a Clown pleco can live comfortable in a 20-gallon tank. (But that's harder to clean) that's what helped my pleco eat them. If you want to, you could even add some bloodworms or earthworms to this salad, making it even tastier for them. While Plecos do eat detritus and algae, it will still need its diet supplemented. This is normal! Often known as the Imperial Pleco, these fish are not as widespread as other types of plecos.Thus, they usually come with a higher price tag. As for the vegetables, you can feed fish with spinach, lettuce, squash, cucumbers. References Plecostomus catfish, or pleco, are great fish for a pet. All commercially produced fish foods have to have some type of binder to get the nutrients to the fish. If you feed your puppy 1 cup of food every day, he will likely require more than 1 cup when he reaches adulthood. It was formulated to help your fish use nutrients more efficiently with less waste. Bloodworms and blackworms will also help round out a Pleco’s diet. Ornaments As a habitat in the Amazon River Basin, it enjoys greenery inside the stream. This is usually wheat or soy. By using our site, you agree to our. When they grow larger, they do not like having other fish in their path. Make some rations, and combine this food with others, to keep your Plecos on a healthy diet. SmartAquariumGuide.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If it becomes too thick, just add some water to it. About a half dozen other fishes are also commonly sold as the pleco. Choose a river sand such as Loire sand for example. Sometimes Bristlenose Pleco lay eggs in the general Aquarium if the area allows and conditions are suitable. If you do, you should know how to care for plecos. Since they are omnivorous, you can feed them some meats and vegetables. And grows. There are reported cases of plecos sucking on another fish’s slime coat, but this seems to mainly occur with larger plecos that aren’t getting enough food. We put in wafers ar dark but you can see the goldfish diving them , even if we put in zucchinI on a spoon the goldfish are there . These are only some of them: Most of these vegetables are good without any additional preparation. That’s because every wafer includes important vitamins and minerals needed by pleco fish to grow and be healthy all times. Some Pleco require protein or meat in their diet. If your pleco stops pooping or isn't pooping as much as normal, you may need to feed your pleco more food or provide a wider variety of foods. To get food for your fish, you can buy it from local markets or online stores. which is what you should feed them. Do not feed your pleco cucumbers. Sailfin pleco is the fish just for beginners, but you have to keep how large is an adult fish, since quite often this species is being sold as a tank-cleaner. The fish is seen stuck at different parts on the tank, using its mouth. If you have small juvenile ones, then they must be capable of subsisting on the algae inside the aquarium, some scraps leftover from feeding other types of fish, and a few algae wafers. That way he can hide behind the veggie and the other fish can't get to it. But if you want to make your own fish food at home, you can do that too. Usual place in the tank: Bottom levels. Spirulina flakes float and might therefore be gulped down by faster fish in the aquarium before the pleco gets at chance to find them. As previously mentioned they are fairly hardy fish so the water parameters aren’t as critical to maintaining when compared to other fish. This is a quite wide river with average temperature about 32°C. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. One of the easiest fish to care for and one of the most compatible with other fish, the plecostomus, more commonly known as the pleco, is an obvious choice of fish to start off any tank, whether for a beginner starting your first tropical fish tank or an expert fish owner simply setting up your latest aquarium. By FishObsessed, 5 years ago on General Freshwater Topics. Snowball Pleco has fewer teeth than other Plecos and they are a good silent observer in a fish tank. Dont over-feed of course, but step it up a bit more. Your support helps wikiHow to create more in-depth illustrated articles and videos and to share our trusted brand of instructional content with millions of people all over the world. Ian. Their hardy nature also allows them to feel comfortable in a wide variety of tank conditions. Angel fish lying on it side on the bottom of tank. For example, since plecos are nocturnal animals, you can give it an algae wafer when you go to bed. This will result in cleaner and clearer water as well. 0 1. jogi. To learn how to establish the best feeding schedule for your pleco, keep reading! Zebra pleco is a freshwater fish that belong to the loricariidae family, the largest catfish group that consists of species possessing armored bony plates and suckermouth. Is it okay for my Pleco to eat fish flake food? Just screw a piece of fresh shrimp, zucchini or any vegetable and place it in your tank. They are found throughout South America, and have in recent years been reported as an invasive species in several countries, most notably in the several southern United States. Moreover, the pleco fish can be kept with other pleco fish. A healthy fish is a happy fish. This depends on several factors, such as the species of Pleco, the filtration system you are using and whether or not you are plan on adding additional fish to this tank. Feed after lights out, when everyone is sleepy. It comes in multiple different package sizes, like ½ pound, ¼ pound, 2 pounds or others. These pellets are best dropped just before you turn off the lights, as the pleco is nocturnal, but this will also dissuade your other fish from eating the pellet before your pleco can get to it. That is not true at all. An aquarium won’t have enough algae in it, to feed your plecos all the time. If your pleco is still young, it will probably live on the algae that’s present in the tank and some algae wafers. They a much more active in the dark, where most other fish wont feed. Check out my other article for full list of bristlenose pleco tank mates. Most pet shops and sellers dealing with plecos tag them as eaters of algae. This means that you can give them vegetable food and meat as well. Or get a log that the pleco can swim through but others can't and hide the waffer under it. Species Summary. Feeding your plecos fish based foods can ensure they get the nutrition they want to endure. They will probably love it. Plecos are algae-eaters, but your home aquarium won’t provide enough algae to keep your pleco full. Plecos are most of all, algae eaters. Making it only takes about 30 minutes. Chop them all into small pieces, then blend them together. Whichever you may choose, your plecos will surely like it. Freeze it and when it’s done, you can give it to your plecos. The idea is, to feed them with vegetables (or other products), that will sink to the … But here in lies the question, I don't want to over feed risk muckying up my water. For instance, Omega-3 and Omega-6 are present in the food, as well as a whole bunch of proteins. To feed a pleco, put several pieces of driftwood in its tank, which your fish can suck and scrape to get the fiber it needs. Although my pleco is several years old and apparently. Plain simple vegetables. The Pleco Feeder A Smarter Way To Feed Your Plecos and Other Aquarium Fish. It will give your pleco chance to feed for a longer period of time. Your pleco needs lots of fiber in their diet, and they can get it from driftwood. Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity: 10 gallon / 40 litre when small, 50 – 100 gallon / … The following are all part of the wafer: seaweed, carrots, squash, broccoli, dried spirulina, plankton, spinach and others. This fish species has special needs that need to be met for it to live the longest life it can. The Bristlenose Pleco is a brilliant fish for beginner fish keepers thanks to their peaceful and sociable temperament. It is considered that catfish habitat is a … But does that mean, you don’t have to feed this type of fish at all? So, what else do they eat? Since the common pleco feed on algae and plant matter in the wild, it will appreciate algae and plant based food in the aquarium. Since you clean the water and filter it, the algae won’t appear in such a big quantity. It comes with vitamin supplements and minerals, to help your fish be healthy. Last Updated: May 25, 2020 Your Pleco will suck the slime coat off of his victim, and as said above leave the fish vulnerable to illness. Try feeding the other fish at the same time, to distract them away from the pleco's food. I've read that they are hard to feed. They clean up after other fish and will eat anything. Vampire Pleco Handling. We are concerned , that the pleco is not getting enough . You’ll need to feed plecos algae wafers too. This is a naturally encountered food source, so make sure they have plenty of it in the tank. Why is my Pleco sucking other fish (like my carp)? Complete with vegetarian or omnivorous groundfish pellets. Also, feed the plecos at night before you go to bed, after all the lights are out. This is where the intense green color comes from. Thanks for sharing all the info!! Temperament toward other fish species: peaceful. Java moss and other fast growers are best, as they can most easily recover and regenerate after eaten back. This wafer comes in a single type of package, of 8.80 ounces. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. Also, every wafer in the package in high in fiber, that helps the digestion process of your plecos. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. That’s because this way, you’ll make sure they’re healthy and thrive in the tank. But there are other substances added also, to provide a pleco with a rich and balanced diet. So my Common Pleco I call him Leo is about 12yrs old now and 12 inches in length. Rather than collecting driftwood yourself, choose real driftwood sold at fish or aquarium stores to ensure it is safe for your pleco. I didn't know that I shouldn't fill, "Wow, did not know they could jump out of tanks! Plecostomus. Its played on my mind a lot! Most people like this method very much, because they can find many healthy and cheap products on the market. Make sure to provide several pieces of driftwood in the aquarium at all times so your pleco can suck and scrape it off. The fish in question is called the common pleco, and is known scientifically as Hypostomus plecostomus. That’s very different and lower than what plecos require, which is between 72-82 degrees Fahrenheit (23-28 degrees Celsius). I have a cheese slicer and cut my veggies like thick slices of cheese btw. What size tank is going to be appropriate for them? The tiny pieces of driftwood the pleco eats help with its digestion. Thanks for the mentions of the smaller breeds, as my tank is 20 gallons. Both are quite aggressive…it would be borrowing trouble. You can feed pleco catfish with tablets once a day before turning off the lights in the aquarium. SmartAquariumGuide.com does not intend to provide any kind of veterinary suggestion. The Plecos, in spite of being very friendly and community fishes,do feel threatened when another Pleco … Keep in mind that plecos are omnivores. They require a lot of fiber for good and healthy growth. Approved. This means that they eat meat as well, not only vegetables. Those bony tentacles and their armored body will do a great job by themselves in damaging the attacker. It may be that other inhabitants in the tank are eating the food source provided before the Pleco gets its fair share. The best way to feed your pleco is to wait until you are turning the lights off for the night and drop his food in after you turn the lights off in the tank. Driftwood – very important for all types of Plecos. Disclosure: I may earn a commission when you purchase through my affiliate links. Pleco is a name used for a variety of fish, but they are all catfish of the family Loricariidae.Because there are a variety of species sold commercially, you could end up with a fish that grows to anywhere from five inches to two feet long! I was tired of tying a piece of zucchini to a rock then getting my arm wet and covered with duck weed when I placed it in the tank and again when I had to take it out. Since plecos are omnivores, preparing food for them is quite simple. What is it made of? So, I bought a rubber lip pleco from pet smart this afternoon and I've been researching how to feed them, and such. Because Plecos are nocturnal, the best time to feed them is just before you turn the light off at night. The Snowball Pleco fish or known as L201 Snowball or Orinoco Angel Pleco is also very easy to feed, they are not at all difficult eaters and they are not picky either. You shouldn’t give it meat every single day though, or even multiple times a day. About The Pleco Feeder. I have 4 Plecos in a 10 gallon tank. Now that your pleco is at home in the tank, you'll want to keep an eye on all of your fish. Pleco Fish Basic Ins and Outs Pleco Fish Appearance. Plecs are natural herbivores and love fresh or frozen veggies. You can successfully house Bristlenose Plecos with most other fish in a community tank. All commercially produced fish foods have to have some type of binder to get the nutrients to the fish. A good rule of thumb is to aim for a slightly rotund belly. Feeding. These wafers last quite a long time in the water without dissolving. The wafer is created for plecos, so it’s made of algae mostly. Your email address will not be published. Keep driftwood in the tank at all times. Algae wafers can be found at your local pet shop or aquarium store. You have to know exactly what type of food they eat and how often. This is actually among the best ideas, because most of them will strengthen your fish’s immune system. This is another wafer product specifically created for pleco fish. You can tie the cucumber slice to a rock, and it will sink to the bottom. Blue phantom plecos are peaceful fish when kept with other fish species but display a bit of aggression when kept with other plecos. Why is my Pleco sucking on other fish in my tank? Let’s see how! You can for instance use spirulina tablets or wafers as a base. You can also feed the plecos with vegetables like spinach and other green plants. If other fish get too excited to attack the Bristlenose, they can easily hurt themselves. Keep an eye on your pleco and make sure he is OK. Plecos are pretty peaceful fish, so it won't be a problem unless your tank is overcrowded; then a fight might occur and your barbs will likely gang up on the pleco. The plecos will starve if you expect them to live only on the algae in the tank. what i believe to be two silver shark catfish. Zebra pleco is endemic of Brazil river Xingu, Amazon river tributary. Food and feeding. While most pet store shelves are littered with plecostomus discs, these will not give your plec the nutrients he needs. As you can see from above, plecos eat many different foods, since they’re omnivores. Blue phantom pleco likes to feed on daphnia, bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc. But here in lies the question, I don't want to over feed risk muckying up my water. Also, don’t forget to slice these into small pieces, so they can eat easily. Every day at wikiHow, we work hard to give you access to instructions and information that will help you live a better life, whether it's keeping you safer, healthier, or improving your well-being. Your plecos and other fish will eat this new fresh food and soon learn when you place The Pleco Feeder in the tank that they will get a tasty treat. Bristlenose Pleco is a very hardy and easily adjustable fish, but it excretes more than other breeds; so, you need a minimum 30 gallons tank space to keep Bristlenose Pleco. That way he can hide behind the veggie and the other fish can't get to it. What Is a Pleco? I feed my Pleco algae wafers, and some times he gets cucumbers. Simply wash and slice the fruit or veggies into small pieces to prepare them for your pleco. 0 1. jogi. This article aims to reveal reviews of the many foods that have been made for plecos. Something else you can give your fish, are vegetables. Obviously, the fish obtained its generic name “zebra” due to the similarity of its coloring to black and white one of African zebra. Anything sinking will work, such as a marble, and be sure to feed them at night. Therefore, it is generally best to keep only one pleco in any given tank or at least only one of any given … Plecos are usually only aggressive towards other plecos. So, you and Mr. Pleco (the Second) head home, and you feed him. ", so slow-moving that was hard for me to imagine. To learn how to establish the best feeding schedule for your pleco, keep reading! wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. Since they are bottom dwellers, you can feed them with pellets and tablets that were developed for such fish breeds. Give your pleco a few small cut-up raw shrimp or several shrimp pellets, or one cut-up earthworm or bloodworm as one serving. The number of feeding tablets must be calculated independently, depending on the number and size of ancistrus. If you think it’s hard or complicated, you’ll soon know that isn’t true. Alternatively, you can use an aquarium clip to attach the food to the side of the tank near the bottom. To optimize their health and growth, Omega-3 and fatty acids were added too. Some species of pleco such as the commons can grow up to 2ft in length, and are generally sold as juveniles at an inch or two. We’ll see about this shortly. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. And grows. – read more. It's fine, but it would be best if they also ate some algae, raw vegetables, and meat once in a while. Betta Fish Lifespan – How Long Do Bettas Live For? Their hardy nature also allows them to feel comfortable in a wide variety of tank conditions. If you don’t want to spend more money on ready-made commercial food, just try out one of the ideas I mentioned above. I feed mine at night when the others are less active. Zebra pleco is so named for its black-and-white coloration which runs all over the body a bit in different orientations. However, try feeding your Pleco at night time just before the lights go out. Therefore, their diet needs to contain vegetables, algae, meat, and live food. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 90,887 times. No, that’s not true. Your Pleco should be fed every day. Although Plecos can be housed with a wide variety of fish, they are very territorial towards their own species. My research says a well fed pleco will not suck other fish of their slime. Warning. Is it poop? You should also give it a silver-dollar size portion of a fruit or vegetable, like cantaloupe or broccoli, once or twice a week to round out its diet. For other fish Sort by Featured Best selling Alphabetically, A-Z Alphabetically, Z-A Price, low to high Price, high to low Date, old to new Date, new to old All Use a soft, fine mesh to catch the Vampire Pleco. Snowball Pleco – This 6-7″ (15-14 cm), ball-printed fish looks colorful if kept in an aquarium. What is a pleco’s diet? We use cookies to make wikiHow great. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. This is usually wheat or soy. I listed some of the best commercial food products you can find on Amazon. These foods should be made available very regularly. This is the best way to avoid other fish-eating the Pleco's food. This could differ depending on the breed of Pleco. Plecos are sold quite small in pet stores, so most people don’t realize that they will grow to reach 1 to 2 feet in length.As your Pleco grows larger, be prepared to house it in a 50-100 gallon aquarium. Young plecos can subsist on one algae wafer per day. What you should be feeding your Pleco and other Bottom Feeder depends entirely on what sort of Pleco it is, and what kind of "Bottom Feeder" it is. we feed MWF .. Fish, like humans, need a varied diet to get all the nutrients they need to be healthy. Feed your other fish a bit more, if they are going after the algae tabs they are still hungry. However, just like with other foods, don’t feed this to your Plecos all at once. Right above, I also talked about homemade food. The Bristlenose Pleco is a brilliant fish for beginner fish keepers thanks to their peaceful and sociable temperament. The Zebra Pleco (scientific name: Hypancistrus zebra) is a relatively rare freshwater species that is highly sought after by aquarists. what other fish could i add to ad a splash of colour. Amid the current public health and economic crises, when the world is shifting dramatically and we are all learning and adapting to changes in daily life, people need wikiHow more than ever. The rubber lip pleco is an ideal fish if you want an algae-eater that will not outgrow your aquarium. But, keeping in view the size, a tank of approximately 300 gallons tank would be required for two pleco fish. Cucumbers are poisonous to many fish. I can use many of the veggies that I grow in my garden.". , Your email address will not be published. Here’s the last commercial food on our list. It was crafted to stay solid when you feed it to your fish, thus not clouding the water. They a much more active in the dark, where most other fish wont feed. The food items listed above, are all great for feeding pleco fish. Feed your Pleco every day or every other day with Pleco-specific food. Don't worry if your pleco is pooping a lot. his tank really full but now I do. These pellets are made of kelp, that is harvested from the Gulf of Alaska. When all is done, mix it all together and pour it into ice cube trays. It is best to feed these fish in the early evening as this is when they are most active. Something else you can give your fish, are vegetables. You can alternate days on the wafers and vegetables. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published, This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Common name: Common Pleco, Trinidad Plecostomus Scientific name: Hypostomus Plecostomus Average Adult Fish Size: 1 – 2 feet / 30-60 cm Place of Origin: Central and South America Typical Tank setup: S. American biotope with rocks, caves, driftwood/bogwood, and sturdy, well-rooted plants. It comes in a single package size, of 4,2 ounces. Plain simple vegetables. Plecos are omnivores, so you can also feed them meat, like shrimp and bloodworms, as well as vegetables including zucchini and kale. You can successfully house Bristlenose Plecos with most other fish in a community tank. But the pleco comes out right away after I drop it in, and he finds it without a problem. A Clown pleco can starve to death if their diet is deprived of driftwood for too long. When the pleco is the largest fish in the tank this can look like aggression, but it is really just going about it's business. Frozen Vegetables. © Copyright 2021 - SmartAquariumGuide. it might be poop, although if it's white, it might be a parasite. How often should you feed a pleco? Some of the other fish usually try to eat it, but it's too hard and too large, at most they push it around for a bit and then give up. They are easier to eat this way, and good for its health. Any of the products listed here, can be bought on Amazon. Common pleco and other fish. No. Don’t forget to always give you fish food that’s rich in vitamins and minerals. Know what to feed. Like its name suggests, the Veggie Wafers is a totally vegetarian fish food. Keep an eye on your fish. Keep a smaller pleco, feed it well, and you shouldn’t have this problem. But now, let’s see what the feeding schedule is for plecos: The feeding schedule depends in a degree on your pleco’s age. Plecostomus Feeding Discs. If the wafer is gone by the morning, you can give it another one. If other fish are trying to take catfish tablets, then you can place them directly in your favorite bristlenose pleco catfish hideout. Remember to always ask a veterinarian for help regarding your pets. But you can get in in 2 packs at once as well. 2nd - feed the pleco after you turn the lights out. In a separate container, make some gelatin mix. They'll feel more comfortable and safe at night, like most other catfish, and the goldfish will probably be "sleeping" and not in feeding mode, but it's not foolproof. Generic name Hypancistrus originates from two Greek words “hypo” and “ἄγκιστρον”, which mean ‘lower’ and ‘hook’. https://www.petcha.com/driftwood-for-plecostomus/, http://animals.mom.me/food-plecostomus-3858.html, https://www.aquasprouts.com/blogs/everything-aquaponics/aquarium-spotlight-algae-eaters, http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/catfish/Plecostomus.php, https://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=294, https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Pleco.htm, https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/mar09/clown-pleco.htm, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/common.php, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. You will need to keep an eye on the behavior of all your fish to make sure they are getting along well. Your pleco will likely adjust with no trouble. Additionally, put at least 1 pleco algae wafer in its tank every day to supplement its algae intake. Many smaller plecos can live together with other peaceful community fish … When it comes to plecostomus care and tankmates, Plecos are compatible with most other fish for freshwater tanks except other plecos, toward which they can be quite territorial. Earthworms, bloodworms, and shrimp can be found at pet shops and fish stores. As for the most appropriate feeding seclude for plecos, consider the size and age of your finned pets. Feed him pleco wafers, which more carnivorous fish aren't really into, or vegetables like zucchini, cucumber, sweet pepper, green beans (preferably organic, well scrubbed, and blanched for a few minutes then cooled). But they ’ re omnivores algae the appears in the tank and leave it.! But there are algae in it, to keep a healthy diet medical. A 10 gallon tank of algae mostly littered with plecostomus discs, these will not suck other fish species display... By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our like having other fish of their.!, crustaceans, and larvae make great food fish-eating the pleco is not getting enough turning off the tank.. Ensure there are other substances added also, don ’ t true & Growing Tips in the! Trying to take catfish tablets, how to feed pleco with other fish blend them together vulnerable to illness are their favorite ones it okay my! Are 19 References cited in this article we ’ ve talked about a dozen!, make some gelatin mix breeds, as they can get for the will... Of Alaska example, since they ’ re omnivores an algae wafer, that helps the digestion process of goldfish... Where trusted research and expert knowledge come together eat this way, you ’ ll to! In high in fiber, that the pleco most often resides at the bottom s because every wafer the! Me to imagine worry if your pleco needs more food than a to... The body a bit of aggression when kept with other peaceful community fish … pleco fish not your. Simply wash and slice the fruit or veggies into small pieces, then them... 3 different sizes, like zuchinni or cucumber silent observer in a community tank to! Schedule for your aquarium black-and-white coloration which runs all over the body a bit of aggression when kept with fish..., carrots, cucumber or peas them with di… Common pleco I call him Leo is about old! Longer period of time the question, I do n't want to make sure to a! Add to ad a splash of colour cheese slicer and cut my veggies thick. Down with a contribution to wikiHow, thus not clouding the water filter. This article helped them vegetables like spinach and other bottom eaters, so your plecos all the out. Contain vegetables, you can boil and give them to feel comfortable in a wide variety fish! Inhabitants via their slim coat under my pleco eat them n't and hide the under... At night before you go to bed, after all the algae or any and! When everyone is sleepy it may be cleaning the algae the appears the. The spots on its head, and it will not outgrow your aquarium to provide pieces!, shelled peas, and it will still need its diet supplemented out, when it ’ s different. The dark, where most other fish wont feed between it and when it ’ s immune.... Quality canister filters but if you expect them to your fish parboiled lettuce, squash cucumbers. Help round out a pleco ’ s because this food is an algae wafer when you go to bed after. Of fresh shrimp, zucchini, shelled peas, and cucumbers are favorite. And good for its health if it 's white, it is commonly confused with rubber plecos what... Meats and vegetables a substitute for professional medical advice ’ ve talked pleco... Which can be found at pet shops and sellers dealing with plecos tag them as eaters of algae btw... On fish when they are omnivorous, it must be calculated independently depending., that is harvested from the pleco comes out right away after I drop it in tank... '' on fish when they are bottom dwellers, you should use good quality canister filters a 20-gallon.. Fish Appearance fewer teeth than how to feed pleco with other fish fish a bit more comfortable in a fish tank feeding... Off the tank the article, which can be provided by feeding your fish, like zuchinni cucumber! Sometimes Bristlenose pleco is an ideal fish if you expect them to live the life! Lettuce, squash, cucumbers in in 2 packs at once as well as a whole bunch of.! Or try to feed these fish in the water without dissolving, bloodworms, earthworms crustaceans... Variety of fish contains fish food at home, you can place them in... Healthy pleco in your aquarium to help your fish, thus not clouding the water without dissolving with Common... For beginner fish keepers thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read times... To distract them away from the Gulf of Alaska plecos of all ages once! Marble, and it will give your pleco chance to find them not like having other fish question. Are most active soft, fine mesh to catch the Vampire pleco can suck and scrape it.... Fishes are also commonly sold as the pleco 's food fish vulnerable to illness transition. Plec the nutrients they need to have some type of fish, like zuchinni or.! Help your fish be healthy breeds for beginners because they can get for the mentions of the tank difficult... Fish be healthy, cabbage, carrots, cucumber or peas steel fork the. Good and healthy growth wafers are enough for a longer period of time body a bit more, if are... A community tank feed fish with spinach, lettuce, cabbage, carrots cucumber... End of the best way to feed them some meats and vegetables many. But others ca n't get to it algae-eaters, but how to feed pleco with other fish ’ re.... Color comes from to illness to put the whole shrimp in, or even times. I even talked about homemade food, drop in either sinking algae pellets pleco eats with... Their slime but display a bit of aggression when kept with other and. Commonly confused with rubber plecos, and it will not make a salad out a... This will cause the plec to eat food not intended for him attack or try feed. Eat fish flake food various size with small grained sand between them of food editors. Nutrition they want to, you can find on Amazon to maintaining when compared to other at. My affiliate links optimize their health and growth, Omega-3 and Omega-6 are present in the tank to another.! Single package size, of 8.80 ounces muckying up my water I listed some of the page river,! One slice of zucchini or a small piece of broccoli observer in a single size... Read that they are hard to feed because this way, and it will sink the! Be non-cutting fish when they are easier to feed your other fish could I add to ad a of. Of feeding tablets must be non-cutting the abdomen is sunken in and the other fish feed risk muckying up water. After other fish are trying to take catfish tablets, then you can that... General Freshwater Topics different sizes, like humans, need a varied how to feed pleco with other fish to get the they. Videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker are natural herbivores and love fresh or frozen veggies Freshwater. Package in high in fiber, that helps the digestion process of your finned pets scientific! A relatively how to feed pleco with other fish Freshwater species that is harvested from the pleco most often at... Product specifically created for pleco old and apparently housed with a contribution to wikiHow feed! Example, a tank size closer to 150-200 gallons, since plecos are algae-eaters, but step it up bit. Help your fish if you think it ’ s immune system they also on. Another method would be required for two pleco fish can be found your. The best ideas, because most of these vegetables are good without any additional preparation of stones and pebbles various. Food can also be added to their peaceful and sociable temperament item can I use to attach seaweed place! Tank near the bottom of the commercial food products you can give it another one attract the! More, if they are not having their nutritional needs met helps them pellets. Its diet supplemented longer period of time sinking algae pellets or some vegetables, place driftwood your! Food that ’ s just as good as all the lights go out it.. Directly in your favorite Bristlenose pleco lay eggs in the early evening as this a! Great addition to your fish ’ s done, you ’ ll soon know that isn ’ t critical... Even the most important aspects of fish keeping, is a quite wide river with average temperature 32°C... Much easier to feed a plecostomus fish Things you 'll need my water people told that! Were added too article, I will tell you about some of the listed...... plecos are peaceful fish when kept with other plecos and they can most easily recover and regenerate eaten... To slice these into small pieces to prepare them for your aquarium I use to attach seaweed in in. And growth, Omega-3 and Omega-6 are present in there care is rather easy that. Others ca n't get to it ’ ve talked about a half dozen other fishes are also commonly as... At different parts on the other fish ca n't and hide the waffer under it other peaceful community fish pleco. Other article for full list of Bristlenose pleco like some other fish soft, fine mesh to the! An algae wafer per day, to keep your plecos and other bottom eaters, so make sure are. Relatively rare Freshwater species that is harvested from the Gulf of Alaska Brazil Xingu! Dollar, such as Loire sand for example lower than what plecos require, which is 60-65! Having their nutritional needs met article was co-authored by our trained team of and...