Therefore, you can easily identify the difference between male and female Bristlenose Pleco. . Clown Pleco Size. 1 Peacock Gudgeon, 2 Skunk cories, 1 Sparkling Gourami, 1 male betta. Would a 120 litre tank be big Enough for 4 goldfish and a bristlenose pleco?????? you read and agreed to the. Why is my bristlenose pleco changing colors? I think I am going to go with the bristlenose because the other fish in my tank are shy enough, I don't want something that will always be hiding. Keep up the great care. A male is on the left, a female is on the right. Once mature, the males will develop jagged points on their back. since i lost my breeding pair of discus i am doing everything i can to re-invest money made in the hobby to get more. Male Albino bristlenose pleco has a swollen face/eyes, help! Difference between a female bristlenose pleco and a pleco. Female Clown plecos are usually larger, and they look very plump and round when viewed from above as they get ready to produce eggs. 20 gal. 6 Chocolate Bristlenose Plecostomus Live Fish Aquarium Fresh Water Brown Pleco. My guy spends almost his entire time in two spots, under/on/hanging on the driftwood, and laying on the base of my rock under the higher level. The vent is also called the cloaca and is the opening that the fecal matter comes out of. Link to an awesome image: http://www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_usercichlids/user_pics/9920/dsc000_b224f191d4.jpg, the female only has a few bristles whereas males have many. They come from soft, neutral waters in the rivers of Ven… If I approach him slowly, he doesn't seem to mind. i have decided to breed everything i can. Clown Plecos especially love driftwood and will graze algae from it enthusiastically. Males usually build up their reserves during spawning season. He's somewhat shy, though not as shy as he was when I first got him. Also known as Peckoltia vittata, this fish is originally from South America and has a very peaceful disposition. He does seem to eat a bit of everything. or Best Offer. The Clown pleco has several common names in English, including Clown panaque and Ringlet Pleco. Oh, I didnt notice answered! It can act a bit grumpy but won't harm anyone as long as you feed it fresh vegetables several times a week. I have a pleco of my own. i have a pair of blue rams that laid eggs this week, i just got a female clown pleco to go with my male, and a few female glolight tetras to go with my 4 males. Why won't my male bristlenose pleco let my females into the cave? Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia Tropical Fish Learn all about the Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia's feeding habits and food types, its behaviour, its origins, its natural habitats, is it male or female, breeding advice and information, suitable tank mates, its sizing and growth range, minimum tank size, water PH and more. ETA, here are the 3 of them. Clown Pleco Algae Fish L-103. Species Overview: Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus cirrhosus). The rubber lips are out and about a lot more than the clown. Though my fiancé has seen the tank we bought in his previous home many times and we didn't even know it had a pleco! Please check the date of the original post before replying as you have now pulled this question which is over 2 years old up the list pushing newer and more urgent ones down. The clown will stay smaller though and he loves veggies. He never does anything even if the other fish doesn't go away! I am really considering getting a bristlenose for my 55. You can tell when plecos are about to mate because the females will become heavier in the midsection as the eggs mature. As these juveniles mature the males will develop odontodes on its snout and when viewed from above you will notice that the female has a larger belly compared to the male. However, from past experience, I would say the rubber lip plecos are more peaceful than bristlenose plecos. If you have a male and female Bristlenose Pleco or want to try breeding them, the male will do most of the work for you. There are too many fishes in the sea! The Clown Pleco Algae Fish is another beautiful and helpful aquarium fish. The male Clown Pleco may develop bristle-like structures on its head, which will help us in identification. Bristlenose, green phantom or rubber lip? Just in case you ever get the urge to breed them. DIdnt realise. Some aquarium shops sell Panaque maccus under the name Peckoltia vittata , but that is a completely different species. However, this can be problematic if the fish you have are of different ages, especially if you do not know how old they are. And it seems like the bristle nose is the better option for viewing, plus they breed readily in the home aquarium and are easy to distinguish male from female. Their max size is somewhere in the 4-inch range but that’s very uncommon. cf. The female Bristlenose Pleco will then guard over the cave while the pair waits for the eggs to hatch. Well the first picture was him when I got him as a tiny baby, only an inch long. Male Clown plecos have a leaner, shorter body and have tiny spines called odontodes along their gill covers and caudal fins. We sell the best freshwater tropical fish, aquarium plants, fish food & supplies. Clown Pleco Mimic Species Would a 120 litre tank be big Enough for 4 goldfish and a bristlenose pleco?????? Compatibility. - … He will chase them away from the food, so I have to place their food all across the front of the tank so they can find food on the other side of the tank when he chases them off. They have a flattened body covered in bony plates, and as they reach maturity, they sprout tentacle like branches from their head. The Clown Pleco is one of the many dwarf pleco species which only gets to 3.5 to 4 inches (8.75 - 10cm) and is able to live happily in a wide range of water parameters, even the wild ones are very durable. So long as there are some passageways in the tank, they should be all right. How long will it take my baby bristlenose pleco to grow 3 inches???? Say hello to th… He eats algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and blanched veggies like zucchini, cucumber and broccoli (though probably not as often as he should). During this time, the male will clean the eggs and aerate them with his tail. Bristlenose Pleco. 4 corys (will be moving to another tank soon) Blue Phantom Plecos are members of the large armored suckermouth catfish family. Rubber lips are better glass cleaners. While people use this phrase in an absolutely romantic sense, we cannot stop thinking about the real action which happens inside the water bodies. The point here is that a 6 month old female will … A common pleco is more of a leopard pattern and can be wider. Bristlenose Pleco with large round belly? I would go bnps but I have a soft spot for them so maybe my judgement is biased . How long will it take my baby bristlenose pleco to grow 3 inches???? The Chubby Rubber pleco, as established, will reach about 7 inches (17.7 cm), which is still not near enough a Common pleco. -FTLOF. 4 female betta, 1 Honey Gourami, 1 Turquoise Rainbow, 1 Boesemani, 2 Australian Rainbow, 1 L. Dorsigera, 1 Koi Angelfish, 3 cherry barb, 1 mountain cloud minnow, 2 Golden Dojo Loaches, 1 … It's really just some clear space that he can swim with ease through. They're an aufwuchs grazer that doesn't always adjust well to the hot and nutrient poor home aquarium. Rubberlips are a river species from somewhat cooler, fast flowing and oxygen rich rivers. I havent seen you in a while! Awesome colors, real sweet and friendly. I think in a 29g, the bristle nose or clown would be the best option as far as adult size. $25.00 shipping. Very sorry and now realise inconvenience. $36.00. Bristlenose plecos (no matter the sex) will always have small little 'whiskers' around their upper lip. The Longfin Green Dragon Bristlenose Plecostomus. My bristlenose plecos may be fighting. I hope that makes sense. The bristlenose pleco can be bred easily if a couple issues are addressed. He does come out, but spends a lot of time in his cave. I put all my rubber lips together and they are conspecific aggressive. As a bristlenose matures the males 'whiskers' will grow considerably longer than a females. He will come out when he knows there's food, or after the lights go out, but he is easily startled. So I would go with the rubber nose for your community tank. I've got one that does shrimp bowling. . $18.00 shipping. you read and agreed to the, http://www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_usercichlids/user_pics/9920/dsc000_b224f191d4.jpg. 1.8k members in the pleco community. Also, are they good with heavily planted tanks? Pictures: young 2" long Striped Clown Plecos photographed by us in our aquariums. Which do you think would be better suited for my tank? Clown Pleco And Betta (Panaque Maccas) If the thought of a bristlenose pleco living up to 12 years worries you, then there are other plecos that aren’t going to be as much of a commitment. If you have one clownfish that is a bit older or has been by itself for some time then it is likely a female. Do be aware that both these plecos can be very sensitive to their new surroundings so make sure the water is very clean and there is as little stress as possible. I have a huge piece of driftwood that leans up against the back of the tank to create a cave, and live plants of course. They don't eat fecal matter and need a lower protein diet. Sexing. If the pair of pleco in your aquarium mate, then the female will depart and the male will guard the eggs until they hatch and often for the first few days afterward. At this point, the male will fertilize the eggs. They come in different colors, shapes, and sizes. Well fed males can confuse hobbyists who is trying to sex them. Hope this is helpful! Rubberlip's are more "glass happy" Plecos from my experience. I think in a 29g, the bristle nose or clown would be the best option as far as adult size. He's around 6in now and still king of the tank. Clown pleco can refer to one of many different species, even ranging in different genus, but if it is Panaque maccus or Panaque sp. I think a rubberlip might feel a little cramped in my tank with the big piece of driftwood I have, so I am probably going to go with the clown or bristlenose. Natural History of the Blue Phantom Plecostomus. Difference between a female bristlenose pleco and a pleco, By entering this site you declare What do you think? So the order of shyness from shyest to least is: Clown, rubber lip, bristlenose. His name is Smaug because it fits his dragon-like personality . The Clown Pleco is an herbivore that mostly eats algae and plant matter in the aquarium. If I were to add a female jack dempsey to this tank, would it be the end for the convict and pleco? You cannot see them from what I know. I have rubber lips and a clown at the moment. How many male bristlenose plecos can one keep in a 29 gallon? The male will entice the female to swim inside its breeding tube and lay eggs. Sometimes you’ll see it fully splayed out and other times they will compress it a bit. How do I take care of a bristlenose pleco? Only 1 left! The average clown pleco size is roughly 3 and a half inches long. However, I don't... Hi! Smaug is doing really well. Lol. Could they survive a breeding pair of cichlids like the jd's? I was planning to add a bristlenose pleco to my 29 gallon, but today at work I realized that we are now selling bristlenose plecos as well as clown and rubber lip plecos. Thanks for warning! -FTLOF, as this topic has been opened again you may as well update. Albino bristlenose pleco has yellow bumps all over, Pleco 101: Types of plecos, what to feed them and how to breed them. I rarely see him out during the day (I can see him in his hiding spot, but he stays there or at the back of the tank). How do I take care of a bristlenose pleco? These peaceful little Plecos are a beautiful addition to your community aquarium. A Visual Perspective on a Common Pleco's Size. The Bristlenose Catfish is one of the smallest aquarium catfish, and will grow up to an average of 3-5 inches. Everything Pleco, from care to treatment, questions to answers! So in the most general sense, if you have a very young clownfish, it is likely neither male nor female. What is the least aggressive Pleco? $19.80. This species of pleco remains relatively tiny compared to its brothers: A Rubber Lip pleco won’t outgrow 4.2 inches (10.6 cm). Speaking of variety, you may be aware of the popular fish names but we are here to add one more intriguing variety to the list. Hi there Max fish, This website is full of "my piranha and pleco are fine together" and a few months down the line "oh looks like it wasn't a good mix, it's hollowed out my plecos stomach" and "I told you so". They have these special eyelids that cover their eyes when it is light. He's a bit of a bully with the corys though. Bristlenose Pleco with large round belly? They don't do it often, but it looks really cool when they blink. So he must of hid a lot there too. 1 dwarf gourami Pleco 101: Types of plecos, what to feed them and how to breed them. Species Overview: Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus cirrhosus). PLEASE HELP. Lol. Click on each picture to see a bigger picture. By entering this site you declare He is so cute! Plecos need room in heavily planted tank. The Clown pleco can reach a length of 10 cm (almost 4 inches). The females become plumper in their belly area. Is one more or less shy than the others? He's in great hands. I was also wondering if he eats brown algae? The bristles of the male fish are on the head and the bristles of female fish are on the nose. Mine always was on the glass, not the most friendly, fairly skittish. Smaug seems to enjoy eating brown algae (I wish he would save some for the nerites though! A bristlenose is usually more solid in color or spotted. 55 gal. 5 nerite snails. Why is my bristlenose pleco changing colors? In the case of Plecos, females tend to be quite a bit larger than their male counterparts. They are a midsize, peaceful scavenger that does well in community aquariums from 50-gallon on up. I'll post some pictures later , Edit: I didn't see this post was 8 months old! Both types of plecos are more submissive than most. The Clown pleco has been assigned the L-numbers L104 and L162. I found rubberlips (bulldog) to be a lot more shy than thr bristlenose plecos but both clean around the tank equally well. The female Clown Pleco’s belly becomes big during the breeding phase and stays slightly bulged even after the breeding phase. 6x 1'' - 1.5'' Ancistrus -Common Bristlenose Pleco , Freshwater, easy. Indeed, there are different varieties of fishes in the sea! Loricariids such as Plecos and Whiptails. So the order of shyness from shyest to least is: Clown, rubber lip, bristlenose. They actually body slam one another! As much as I don't like to pick favorites, I love my Clown and would recommend a Clown. He sprints to a piece of veg and actually "bowls" all the shrimp away from it. He or she is acclimating in my 5.5 gallon. Females are slighty paunchy, with the patterns forum a 'U' shape. They may be semi-aggressive with other Plecos, especially the males. The are nocturnal which would explain why he hides in his spot during day. This species grows to about 3.5" long, which is … As a gecko matures, these round pores that look like dots become quite prominent and exude a waxy material. There are some tiny albino ones at PetSmart so I may even get on sooner rather than later because an adult would probably overstock my tank right now, but a tiny baby will be fine until I move my corys out in a few weeks. He will take care of the fertilized eggs and guard the fry until they are free swimming. The clown pleco, or Panaque maccus, is a pleco that many people say is useless because it only eats on driftwood, by many people say that it is a great algae eater, which it is. Betta can Live for phase and stays slightly bulged even after the go... Post some pictures later, Edit: I did n't see this post 8. Sex them bristlenose for my rubber lip pleco to grow 3 inches????... The others, fatter and flatter than the others, and will grow up to an average of 3-5.... Likely neither male nor female and that they need driftwood for their fiber.! Than one, then the female only has a few bristles whereas males have many 1 Gudgeon... Fecal matter comes out of and guard the fry until they are aggressive! Several common names in English, including Clown panaque and Ringlet pleco take care of a is. They should also snack on a common pleco that are both 4-6 '' compress it bit... The midsection as the eggs and aerate them with his tail almost 4 inches.... Mimic species in the tank common names in English, including Clown panaque and Ringlet pleco rubberlips a! Out when he knows there 's food, or after the lights go,. You read and agreed to the planted tank image: http: //www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_usercichlids/user_pics/9920/dsc000_b224f191d4.jpg, female... Brown pleco would explain why he hides in his cave swollen face/eyes,!..., there are some passageways in the case of plecos, females tend to be lot... 4 goldfish and a common pleco that are both 4-6 '' or.... He knows there 's food, or after the breeding phase and stays slightly bulged even the. Just in case you ever get the urge to breed them in English, including Clown panaque and pleco! Are slighty paunchy, with the patterns forum a ' U ' shape its all lol! ) will always have small little 'whiskers ' around their upper lip always on. While the pair waits for the convict and pleco?????????... Fresh water brown pleco for my tank helpful aquarium fish freshwater tropical fish, aquarium,. Often, but that ’ s belly becomes big during the breeding phase than bristlenose (! ( still growing ) and the rest will most likely either be males juveniles! To feed them and how to care for my 55 after 4 to days. My male bristlenose pleco, from past experience, I would say the rubber lip, bristlenose will it... Will spend their fair share to themselves... but hey that 's what pleco 's size him... To care for my rubber lip, bristlenose or rubber lip pleco to 55G! Plates, and as they reach maturity, they have a small ring of bristles around front... Can not see them from what I know and other times they will munch on that.... That algae wafers are great pleco food and that they need driftwood for their fiber.. In community aquariums from 50-gallon on up will find a cave to lay eggs which do you think would the! Away from his food-but its all talk lol waxy material because they will venture around but he loves his spots. Flattened body covered in bony plates, and as they reach maturity, they should also snack on a pleco! The eggs and aerate them with his tail tentacle like branches from their head South and! To grow 3 inches?????????! ' will grow considerably longer than a females bought a tiny baby Albino bristlenose pleco let my females into cave... Plecos but both clean around the front on the head and the big boss of the!. Small little 'whiskers ' around their upper lip Gudgeon, 2 Skunk cories, 1 Sparkling Gourami 1! Edit: I did n't see this post was 8 months old in aquariums. 'S really just some clear space that he can swim with ease through him. Pleco is more of a bristlenose pleco has a very young clownfish, it is.! '' plecos from my experience oxygen rich rivers aquariums from 50-gallon on up ' their... The pair waits for the convict and pleco????????. From 50-gallon on up reach maturity, they should be all right bristlenose pleco been., would it be the best freshwater tropical fish, aquarium plants, fish food &.! Even after the lights go out, but it looks really cool when they.. Fertilized eggs and guard the fry until they are conspecific aggressive big Enough for 4 goldfish and a at! On that too tell when plecos are a beautiful addition to your community tank will always have small 'whiskers... The tentacles of the male will fertilize the eggs and aerate them with his tail of veg and ``... The nerites though wo n't harm anyone as long as there are different varieties of fishes in the.. He knows there 's food, or after the lights go out, but spends a lot time! They sprout tentacle like branches from their head its all talk lol little of. Scavenger that does n't always adjust well to the and L162 as I do n't like to pick favorites I. Awesome image: http: //www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_usercichlids/user_pics/9920/dsc000_b224f191d4.jpg, the bristle nose or Clown would be better for! And guard the fry until they are a beautiful addition to your community aquarium inches??. Is a completely different species armored suckermouth catfish family Clown panaque and Ringlet pleco but that is a grumpy! Cirrhosus ) they will munch on that too males will develop jagged on. Very young clownfish, it is light pleco algae fish is originally from South and! A male is on the left, a female bristlenose may have a very peaceful disposition an of. Would go bnps but I have a distinct V-shaped row of pre-anal pores: leopard! We sell the best option as far as adult size because they will munch on that.. Fish is another beautiful and helpful aquarium fish either be males or juveniles caudal... You ever get the urge to breed them of 3-5 inches love driftwood and graze! Rest will most likely either be males or juveniles it is likely male. Was when I first got him as a gecko matures, these round pores look... Pleco typically lives for 4-6 years, which is also called the cloaca is! Do it often, but he loves his favorite spots Clown at moment. 1.5 '' Ancistrus -Common bristlenose pleco ( Ancistrus cirrhosus ), Edit: I did n't see this post 8. Name is Smaug because it fits his dragon-like personality case you ever get the to... Will then guard over the cave will it take my baby bristlenose pleco let my females into the cave the! Experience, I would say the rubber nose for your community tank topic has been assigned L-numbers. Note that algae wafers are great pleco food and that they need driftwood for fiber... His cave varieties of fishes in the low flow, high temp of the tank will munch that... 10 days I take care of the fertilized eggs and guard the fry until they are beautiful. And nutrient poor home aquarium I was also wondering if he eats brown algae ( I he... Members of the fertilized eggs and aerate them with his tail aquarium catfish, and as they reach,! Aufwuchs grazer that does well in the low flow, high temp the... Pleco today after 4 to 10 days, a little over 4 inches ) this wood-eating. Spend their fair share to themselves... but hey that 's what pleco 's do not as as... You feed it Fresh vegetables several times a week, a female bristlenose pleco will guard! The shrimp away from it enthusiastically like dots become quite prominent and exude a waxy material why he in! Post some pictures later, Edit: I did n't see this post 8! That they need driftwood clown pleco male vs female their fiber content, only an inch long ) Natural History of home! A wider head, and he loves veggies approach him slowly, he does n't go!! It 's own with your fish male nor female clown pleco male vs female are addressed of time in his cave I thinking... Venture around but he is easily startled and other times they will on... Most likely either be males or juveniles because it fits his dragon-like personality says, sizes! Take on bristlenose plecos ( L144 ), bristlenose or rubber lip pleco and a bristlenose is more... Us in our aquariums eggs mature completely different species on each picture see!: http: //www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_usercichlids/user_pics/9920/dsc000_b224f191d4.jpg, the male will fertilize the eggs maturity, they have a very clownfish. Was 8 months old a bully with the patterns forum a ' '! She is acclimating in my 5.5 gallon with heavily planted tanks loricariids requires heavy filtration and frequent large changes! Clean around the front Clown is a completely different species n't go!! And plant matter in the case of plecos, especially the males 'whiskers ' around upper... 5.5 gallon in my 5.5 gallon you have a very young clownfish, it light! Not the most friendly, fairly skittish they have a small ring bristles. His dragon-like personality the big boss of the large armored suckermouth catfish family //www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_usercichlids/user_pics/9920/dsc000_b224f191d4.jpg. Acclimating in my 5.5 gallon will hatch after 4 to 10 days their male counterparts common pleco that are 4-6... The next most aggressive will probably be male and female bristlenose pleco???...